Bring the following items with you to the center:
- Any medications required by our nurse.
- Your picture ID with proof of address.
- Your health insurance card.
- Any co-payment that you are responsible for.
On the day of your procedure:
- Please arrive at the center for your procedure at the scheduled time. After you check-in with our receptionist, we will ask you to complete admission forms and verify that you have read our required patient notices. We will place an ID band on your wrist and ask you to take a seat in the waiting area.
- Once your admission is processed, a nurse will accompany you into the pre-procedure area and check your ID band. We ask that your companions remain in the waiting area.
- In the pre-op area, you will change into a patient gown and socks. Your belongings will be placed in safekeeping.
- The nurse will help you get comfortable, then review your medical history and ask you to sign consents for your procedure and sedation. Please be patient if the questions seem redundant; they are part of our checking system to make sure we do our best for you.
- The nurse will review the discharge instructions that you will need to follow as you recover at home. You will receive a written copy before you are discharged.
- If your procedure calls for sedatives, the nurse will start an intravenous line in your arm. Sedatives/relaxing medications as prescribed by your gastroenterologist will be given through this intravenous line.
Type of Anesthesia
Anesthesia is given through an intravenous (IV) line in the arm. This allows the patient to be completely asleep, but may be easily awakened as soon as the procedure is over.