Dr. Ruel Garcia graduated Magna Cum Laude in Biological Sciences from the University of California, Irvine. He went on to receive his medical degree from the University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine. Dr. Garcia stayed at UCSD to complete to residency in Internal Medicine. Soon after, he joined the staff of Southern California Permanente Medical Group, San Diego, for three years as a primary care physician and then as a hospitalist.
Dr. Garcia moved to the Bay Area in 1998 and completed his gastroenterology fellowship at the University of California, San Francisco. Since then, he has been in San Jose practicing general gastroenterology and hepatology with an interest in advanced endoscopic procedures. His primary interest is in biliary tract and pancreatic diseases and has expertise in diagnostic and therapeutic ERCP and EUS. Dr. Garcia is Board-Certified in Gastroenterology.
Dr. Garcia balances his life by spending the majority of his free time with his wife and 4 children. He has a passion for travel, history, and physics.
Dr. Garcia’s goal is to provide optimal compassionate care to his patients by integrating the most up to date information that medical science and technology have available. He continues to practice based on proven, evidence-based medicine and hones his endoscopic skills and clinical judgment by continual study and training to achieve the best procedural results for the patient. Lastly, he believes to always listen to the patient and incorporate the patient’s hopes and wishes into their treatment plan.
- Colonoscopy and Colon Cancer Screening
- ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography)
- EMR (Endoscopic Mucosal Resection)
- EGD (Esophagogastroduodenoscopy)
- Endoscopic Stents
- Hepatitis B and C
- Small Bowel Capsule Endoscopy
- Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS)
- Management of Liver Diseases
- Management of diseases of the pancreas, bile duct and gallbladder
- Management of diseases of the esophagus, stomach and intestines
- Bariatric Endoscopy
- Online Video Visits
- Fellowship: University of California, San Francisco
- Residency: University of California, San Diego
- MD: University of California, San Diego
- American Gastroenterology Association (AGA)
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE)
- American College of Gastroenterology (ACG)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD)
- Association for Bariatric Endoscopy (ABE)
- American Medical Association (AMA)